Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Collection

Man gave names to all the animals... in the beginning... in the beginning...
Five years old with clunky Koss headphones strapped to my head
Dreaming to the sound of Dylan's voice
Singing about Man
About naming
About sin
Relishing the drag and drop of needle across grooves
The sweet smell and curl of heated vinyl
I learned to love records as friends who never betrayed
Companions who never turned
I bought my first 45 for $1.49 at Radio Doctor
Hello, is it me you're looking for...
Slotting it onto the angular adaptor in the center of a suitcase system with detachable speakers
My first lp at Atomic Records
Only love... can make it rain... the way the beach... is kissed by the sea...
Music was deep and wide and warm
Lps to tapes to cds to MP3s
Concerts to festivals to backstage and tourbuses
I have danced myself to ecstasy
Sung myself to sleep
Wrapped myself in songs
Shredded my heart on the words
And as the record winds down, into the last hiss and pop
My last request will be a sweet voice, deep and soft
Singing me
To sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment